The nights are drawing in, the mornings are getting darker and the car windscreen needs clearing before it’s safe to drive. All these things make me think about it being cold outside but cosy inside, and one of my favourite dishes to have for breakfast to get me warmed up in the morning is porridge.
This recipe happens to be vegan, not that I am vegan (or even vegetarian) but I’m not a massive fan of milk (love cream, cheese and butter though!). You wouldn’t know it’s dairy-free because to me it tastes like lemon cheesecake, I think it’s the oats thickening as they cook that gives it a creamy consistency. It also uses two of my favourite seasonal ingredients – apple and cinnamon.
I hope you enjoy it, let me know how you get on and what your favourite way of eating porridge is.
Lemon Cheesecake* Porridge
Makes 2 generous bowls
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 apple, cored & grated
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon, to serve
- Soak oats, water and lemon juice in saucepan overnight – optional but optimal.
- Add the grated apple and maple syrup to the pan.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling, thick and creamy.
- Divide between two bowls and serve with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
*As mentioned above, this recipe is dairy-free, there’s no cheese in it, it just tastes like lemon cheesecake to me.